Re: [opensuse] HCLs [Was:openSuSE to be sold to Vmware?]
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:53:51 -0700
On 9/17/2010 4:26 PM, Rajko M. wrote:
On Friday 17 September 2010 09:28:57 C wrote:
There have been attempts at standardizing, but.. everyone just ignored
it and went on their merry way.

Then, even if package managers would be standardized, who will make standard
kernel, libc, etc. Package will refuse to install anyway.

Having a FEW competing package managers adds robustness to the community.
I have no problem with two or even three methods. Competing technology
brings out the best after a while. That very fact that this issue is not
yet settled means there is still debate about what method is best.

KDE/Gnome/[5 or 8 others] = same debate.

I think the bigger issue is the location of things varying for no good
reason other than one developer decides its just easier to put things in
a different place. That has been toned down in recent years, but it
is still far too common.

Another issue is the Gui-ification of all controls and settings without
documenting WHICH files are changed by these methods. Bad enough when
the underlying system is standardized. A nightmare when combined
with nonstandard locations or fancy run-time tokenization of linux
standard scripts/settings. (a la etc/sysconfig and its absurd level of
indirection).