[opensuse] HCLs [Was:openSuSE to be sold to Vmware?]
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:05:40 -0400
On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 15:03 -0400, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
Installed 11.3 64-bit on my HP DV-3085DX and it has been working
*perfectly*. Not a single crash, for months. Even hiberation / resume
works *perfectly*.
openSUSE 11.3 is a *WONDERFUL* product. A solid and productive desktop
experience.
Working great here!
Glad to hear you aren't having problems. So, does that mean that we
give up on trying to fix issues that others are having that aren't
affecting you?

Yep. Feel free.

Most of Linux is word of mouth and a bad review can do
more damage than a hundred comments about how great it is.

And... that is just basic human behavior. However, it does nothing to
negate the value of a positive comment.

Has anyone bothered to update the hardware compatibility list for
11.3?(I haven't because I have only installed it on 1 machine & am
still testing it) Having these types of "good it works" and "no I
have problems" could help others out who are looking to install it.

Nope, and I don't intend to. All the HCLs, and there are so bloody
many, are pretty useless - mostly because there are so many.

You can research this laptop easily @
<http://www.bing.com/search?q=opensuse+DV7-3085DX&form=OSDSRC> which
will show the post I made to this list
<http://lists4.suse.de/opensuse/2010-06/msg00750.html> I've been using
Linux on a laptop for ~8 years. Narrow down the models you are
interested in and search. That is the only reliable way to discover any
information.

Hopefully, someday, the community will be able to get together and make
a shared HCL that is actually useful (and maintainable). Generally we
need more things like <http://unix.stackexchange.com/> and less
opensuse-, ubuntu-, fedora-, etc..