Re: [opensuse] openSuSE to be sold to Vmware?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:59:45 +0200
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:41, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 07:17 +0200, C wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 05:20, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
The Register is reporting rumors that Vmware will be buying SuSE within the
next few weeks:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/15/novell_buyout_rumor/>

Not just The Register... the rumors are popping up everywhere...
Even Brockmeier is commenting about it:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/66307

I really likes the comment (a joke I assume) that SCO should buy
openSUSE. Not that they are floating in bucks.

The one remote possibility that's being bantered around that really
frightens me... Oracle. Dear $deity, please not Oracle!

It could be interesting to have a new company at the helm. Some fresh
ideas maybe? I hope whoever picks it up understands open source, the
communities, and as well... how to make money out of the open source
projects without damaging the core product.

As much as we like to grumble about Novell, they've done a reasonably
good job of pushing openSUSE along and supporting it.

C.