Re: [opensuse] What happened to the opensuse.ca.unixheads.org mirror?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:06:48 -0500
On 09/15/2010 02:51 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 09/15/2010 01:46 PM, David C. Rankin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 09/15/2010 01:47 AM, Will Stephenson wrote:
So who wants to help us get more US mirrors set up?

Will

If I knew any institutional guys, I'd be glad to beg for space and
bandwidth. Unfortunately, I don't and I doubt my home 33K up would help :p

You guys that work for companies that have excess bandwidth, it never
hurts to approach the decision makers and propose a mirror. Especially
if the company relies on openSuSE in anyway - they would have their very
own mirror - or however you can think of to approach the issue. Worse
they can say is - No.

How much space is needed? Some hosting companies tout 150GB and
unlimited bandwidth for around $5.00 a month and unlimited space at $7.

We will have to get Pavol (or whoever knows how much storage 11.3/11.4 takes) to give us a total on a release size (distro + update + build service). Just a rough guess is that it runs somewhere between 60-100G now. (I think the 10.X days the total ran between 24-32G) I have no idea where it is now.

But if Ken is correct, I love the idea and it seems like Novell could buy a hell of a lot of storage and bandwidth for $5-10 dollars and really improve the US mirror situation.

cc: Pavol Rusnak

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC