Re: [opensuse] Filesystems not unmounted during shutdown
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:16:51 -0400
Philippe Andersson said the following on 09/09/2010 10:42 AM:

There's nothing "in" the journal to reply, because there was a clean
shutdown.
In my case there is. Every time.

Now if you get a long list of what is being replayed then you know that
your shutdown wasn't really clean, that the file system wasn't properly
unmounted.
That was my whole point -- my apologies that it wasn't clear enough. The
server is always shutdown properly, either from the KDM menu entries or
from the command-line.

If that's the case then you should investigate WHY the file
system isn't being properly unmounted on shutdown.

That's the aspect of the question being discussed in the bug I referred
to (and commented on).

I would suggest, then. doing a shut-down like this.

a) do an 'init 3' to get out of the DM mode.
b) one by one, unmount the file systems

You will find you can't because of running processes
Identify what those are with 'fuser'

Item (b) is easier for me 'cos I have lots of file systems

/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/use/lib
/home/anton/Documents
/tmp
/opt

Running LVM makes this a lot easier :-)
Of course this gives me practice in tracking down file system
problems since I have less-than-critical ones to

c) do an 'init 1'

You should now have none of those processes :-)
Try un-mounting.
Then mounting again.

This isn't a 'cure', its just to give more insight into what's going on.
I'm not proposing it as a normal form of shut-down, but just so you can
investigate what is happening.

Personally, I think your file systems are overloaded.
There are some security issues (go google) with having the /tmp on the
same FS as /bin and /sbin. Its also useful so you don't get an aberrant
processes filling up /tmp=/ and freezing your system.

--
"If I must write the truth, I am disposed to avoid every assembly of
bishops; for of no synod have I seen a profitable end, but rather an