Re: [opensuse] Filesystems not unmounted during shutdown
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:32:55 -0400
Philippe Andersson said the following on 09/09/2010 10:17 AM:
Hello list,

I recently had to get rid of the boot splashscreen on my home server.
Meaning that I now get to see the console boot messages each time, and I
noticed something quite alarming: an fsck and a transaction log replay
takes place each time the server boots, even though I take great care to
always shut it down cleanly.

Yes, so?

You don't say what file system.

My ReiserFS do that on every boot regardless.
Following a clean shutdown I see the reboot saying

Replaying journal: Done.

Its the nature of the reiser.fsck that runs at boot.
There's nothing "in" the journal to reply, because there was a clean
shutdown.

Now if you get a long list of what is being replayed then you know that
your shutdown wasn't really clean, that the file system wasn't properly
unmounted. If that's the case then you should investigate WHY the file
system isn't being properly unmounted on shutdown.

--
If a better system is thine, impart it; if not, make use of mine.
- Horace