[opensuse] /etc/modprobe.conf on 11.3
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:54:39 +0200
Hi all,
Due to some uncorporative collegea's i am late in my transition towards
11.3, but yesteday i came across something that i couldn't solve right
away, and google wasn't my friend this time.

I use virtual machines and virtual networks (xen)
In some cases they oly need to communicate between themselves, so i
uncomented and extended the lines in /etc/modprobe.conf
and/etc/modprobe.conf.local:

install dummy0 /sbin/modprobe -o dummy0 --ignore-install dummy
install dummy1 /sbin/modprobe -o dummy1 --ignore-install dummy
install dummy2 /sbin/modprobe -o dummy2 --ignore-install dummy
So i can up to eight independant networks, despite the fact of only
having two real nics.

With 11.3 however config setup has changed. Things are now stored in:
/etc/modprobe.d/nn-something.conf

But where can/should i store the config for my dummy0 ... dummy6 network
devices? The manpage stil talks about /etc/modprobe.conf...
As "the man" says:
(the /etc/modprobe.conf file can also be used if it exists, but that
will be removed in a future version)

So i probably could create my own /etc/modprobe.conf, but i would rather
keep my config-layout up-to-date, so could i just use the same format
and create my own /etc/modprobe.d/25-dummynet.conf?

Kind regards, hans