Re: [opensuse] Repositories and priorities
  • From: Anne Wilson <annew@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:56:54 +0100
On Wednesday 08 Sep 2010 10:37:27 Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 8. September 2010, 11:22:30 schrieb Anne Wilson:
I'm a long-time KDE user, familiar with Fedora and new to OpenSUSE. I
find I am getting far fewer updates than expected, with huge numbers of
packages apparently protected against updates. I understand the
principle, but would value some help in finding documentation about the
various repositories and setting priorities, since I assume this is my
problem. Amongst other things I would like to move to KDE 4.5, which I
had in Fedora.

In short. openSUSE tries to prevent the user from switching to unsupported
packages . This means that if one e.g. uses the packman repo only those
packages from it which the user explicitly picked are considered for
updates if one runs zypper up or uses YaST software management > menu
packages > all packages > update if newer version is available.

That's very helpful, thanks. I had been using "zypper up".

It is also possible to switch all packages from a repo by clicking the
"link" at the top of YaST software management's package list of that repo.
zypper can do this with zypper dup --from reponame. dup includes venodr
changes (from official to some other repo) up does not consider vendor
changes.

I find the GUI version useful if I want to browse around, but prefer the CLI
update normally.

kupdateapplet only checks for official updates. It might do otherwise if
the zypper backend is used but I'm not sure about that.

Regarding an update to KDE 4.5 there is a wiki page that has a step-by-step
guide. Also you might be interested in subscribing to the opensuse-kde
mailinglist or drop by on freenode at #opensuse-kde.

I found the wiki page last night, so I'll go through that, thanks. I also
subscribed to the ML last night - is there an archive somewhere? Again, I'm
used to finding my way around mailman listinfo pages, and don't know how
OpenSUSE organises this sort of thing. I wasn't aware of the freenode
channel, though. I've subscribed to that now, too.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group