Re: [opensuse] Repositories and priorities
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:37:27 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 8. September 2010, 11:22:30 schrieb Anne Wilson:
I'm a long-time KDE user, familiar with Fedora and new to OpenSUSE. I find
I am getting far fewer updates than expected, with huge numbers of
packages apparently protected against updates. I understand the
principle, but would value some help in finding documentation about the
various repositories and setting priorities, since I assume this is my
problem. Amongst other things I would like to move to KDE 4.5, which I
had in Fedora.

In short. openSUSE tries to prevent the user from switching to unsupported
packages . This means that if one e.g. uses the packman repo only those
packages from it which the user explicitly picked are considered for updates
if one runs zypper up or uses YaST software management > menu packages > all
packages > update if newer version is available.

It is also possible to switch all packages from a repo by clicking the "link"
at the top of YaST software management's package list of that repo. zypper can
do this with zypper dup --from reponame. dup includes venodr changes (from
official to some other repo) up does not consider vendor changes.

kupdateapplet only checks for official updates. It might do otherwise if the
zypper backend is used but I'm not sure about that.

Regarding an update to KDE 4.5 there is a wiki page that has a step-by-step
guide. Also you might be interested in subscribing to the opensuse-kde
mailinglist or drop by on freenode at #opensuse-kde.

Sven