Re: [opensuse] 11.2 GNOME-KDE4.5 on same system
  • From: Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 15:19:31 -0300
On Mon 06 Sep 2010 at 12:54:18 (-0300 UTC) Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:

On 9/6/2010 11:29 AM, Marco Calistri wrote:
On Mon 06 Sep 2010 at 12:21:03 (-0300 UTC) Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:

On 9/6/2010 11:09 AM, Marco Calistri wrote:
Hello all,

Wonder if are there any chances to dist-upgrade KDE4.5 onto a openSUSE
11.2 x86_64 system, where GNOME is also installed as DE.

I ask this, since by attempting to dist-upgrade to KDE4.5 with zypper
dup, it resolved into a request of changing the arch for big list of
GNOME stuff (from x86_64 to i586).

TKS,

You're doing a dup. Okay, what if you try disabling the 4.4 repos and
activate 4.5 repos and then just do a zypper *up* ? That shouldn't
effect Gnome unless there's a Gnome upgrade. dup will try to change
vendor and arch, up should not.

Hi,

I had never configured/enabled KDE4.4 on my system.
If I do a zypper up, then I see many new KDE4.5 available updates that
went no installed due different vendor policy.

Why GNOME is so massively involved into the "dist-upgrade" when we are
talking of KDE?

Cheers,

You may not have configured KDE 4.4, but are you sure it's not installed?

a dist upgrade will do a distro upgrade. I.E. 11.2 to 11.3. So vendor
changes will happen. What you want is

# zypper up

which will do a regular update and not try to upgrade to a new distro.

This may be of some help
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2010-09/msg00114.html.

Not agree with you:

In my case the installed KDE4.5 refers to openSUSE as vendor, while all
the updates announced are coming from OBS Factory (sorry if I'm wrong on
naming but I'm not on the affected system) so in order to install them I
must use "zypper dup" after selecting KDE4.5 repos and giving a lower
priority to these.

Same thing (zypper dup) I made to upgrade GNOME from 2.26 to 2.28.

Cheers,

--
Marco Calistri <amdturion>
...if you think unity is the highest political value, you need to ask