Re: [opensuse] Strange DATA Problems (Legacy DBF Files)
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:49:54 -0400
On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 17:27 -0700, Wayne Hammond wrote:
On 9/2/2010 2:27 PM, Lars Müller wrote:
On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 01:33:37PM -0700, Wayne Hammond wrote:
Since upgrading to 11.3 I have noticed a number of strange problems
accessing or manipulating Foxpro DOS tables.
This is of course a Samba Issue.
Then of course please check http://en.openSUSE.org/Samba in particular
the "Samba bug reporting and advanced debugging information" section.
Some people claim that the instructions help.
Thanks for the tip... Didn't know that part of the site existed, looks
like time for a little research...
I see a lot of issues with 11.3, I can't even operate an ssh login
to run yast properly to get a version #.

I have no issues with 11.3

I have 11.1 on other clients that don't see any of these problems.

What version(s) of Samba seems like a much more important question.

your mean conservative or liberal...;>}
What I'd like to know from the community is which version of
Samba or OpenSuse is most friendly with these legacy files.
openSUSE (oS) 11.3 includes 3.5.4 which is the current stable version we
provide at Samba.org too.
At the openSUSE Build Service (OBS) network:samba:TESTING repository we
offer 3.6.0pre1 packages as well. But your description doesn't ring any
bells.
This is a typical configuration for Samba
[global]
oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = no

Why these? These will automatically be disabled if the kernel / Samba
deems them unnecessary. It is much wiser to use "veto oplock files" if
you think you have specific files that should not be available for
oplocks [ it is very doubtful such a need exists unless you have some
very old and buggy clients ].

so_sndbuf = 14596
so_rcvbuf = 14596

Take these out. You should never specify buffer sizes or socket options
unless you have a VERY sound technical reason. This things will be set
automatically by the kernel / Samba to optimal values.