Re: [opensuse] lsm space giveth and space taketh away: missing space?
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:31:27 -0400
On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 18:50 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
I am running low on space in my /backups partition. I looked at the
partitions and volumes to see what might be done (besides deleting old
backups), and noticed:
pvs:
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sdb1 Backups lvm2 a- 10.91T 3.15G
---
So I thought 'cool', I didn't make it the full size, and
I have some left...ok...(I didn't remember what I'd done, its
been a while).
Run lvresize:
lvresize /dev/Backups/Backups -L +3.15G
Rounding up size to full physical extent 3.15 GB
Extending logical volume Backups to 10.91 TB
Logical volume Backups successfully resized
Um...HELLO? Extending to 10.91? But it was at 10.91!

Your reporting is a bit confusing; what was the original size of the
LV?

pvs:
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sdb1 Backups lvm2 a- 10.91T 0
Well that was unimpressive.

I don't understand why you are looking at PVs, it is the VG that
matters. How much free space does the VG report?

parted /dev/sdb
p(rint)
Disk /dev/sdb: 12.0TB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 17.4kB 12.0TB 12.0TB backup lvm
Ok, now I'm really confused. 10.91T? 14.06T? (Obviously
this was optimistic reporting if the partition is only 12TB!)

What does the VG report?

So why does parted show a 12TB disk while lvm shows only a 10.91T
disk and why did lvm show 3.15G free when it wasn't really there?

Different counting mechanisms (base-10 vs. base-2) and a little bit of
overhead.

How do I get my 1.09T back from lvm? That seems like awfully
high for an overhead number for lvm. I'd expect more like "0.09T".

You can't, it isn't there. When using LVM *only* pay attention to the
stats reported by vgdisplay (for the VG). Ignore everything else, it is
just confusing.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>