Re: [opensuse] lsm space giveth and space taketh away: missing space?
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:28:14 -0400
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 15:12 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/09/2010 11:50, Linda Walsh wrote:
I am running low on space in my /backups partition. I looked at the
partitions and volumes to see what might be done (besides deleting old
backups), and noticed:
pvs:
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree /dev/sdb1 Backups lvm2 a- 10.91T 3.15G
---
So I thought 'cool', I didn't make it the full size, and
I have some left...ok...(I didn't remember what I'd done, its
been a while).
Run lvresize:
lvresize /dev/Backups/Backups -L +3.15G
Rounding up size to full physical extent 3.15 GB
Extending logical volume Backups to 10.91 TB
Logical volume Backups successfully resized
I suggest that you look at how the KBs are counted by the manufacturer
and then the OS. If I recall correctly, HD mfgrers use something like
~1458 bytes (or something) = 1Kb.

He's talking about PVs and LVs in LVM, so whatever the manufacturer does
is not relevant

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>