Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:27:54 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:

I'm looking for a compression tool (lzma, gzip, zip et al) with the
following characteristics:

1. high compression ratio
2. multiple files per archive
3. very fast decompression/extraction of single files

Compression time is largely immaterial.

Thanks for the various suggestions - I ran some fairly unscientic tests
on zip, 7zip and xar:
About 1000 archives, ranging from 50K to 6Mb (only 4.5M for 7zip). I
recorded filesize and wall-clock time - and zip won. They were in fact
all fairly good:

average time for single file extraction

xar - 0.058 seconds
7zip - 0.050 seconds
zip - 0.036 seconds

Judging by the graphs I made, 7zip shows a slight tendency to increasing
time with filesize, where as zip and xar are both quite stable
time-wise.
I should really do some more tests with bigger archives and more files,
but for the time being and for my purposes this will do.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.8°C)