Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 17:39:41 +1000
On 02/09/2010 05:37, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Back in the early-mid 1990s there was an archiver written which not only
beat all other archivers hands down re compression but was also very fast. I
was using it for my data. But at that time zip etc "ruled" the world and
this archiver was kinda by-passed.....
And do you think I can remember its name? :-(
Back in the day, we had ARC, ARJ, LHA, ZIP and a couple others I don't
remember. ARJ was my preference. It usually beat out ZIP for file
size. Haven't used it in 15 years probably.......

Yeah....memory, memory :-( . Of course, none of the above strikes an accord.

Event-u-a-ll-y, the name will probably come to me in a dream :-) .

BC

--
...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking
alcohol.