Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:00:22 +0200
Wilfred van Velzen wrote:

On 2010-09-01 at 16:10, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Try compressing with '-ms=off' option for p7zip and test
decompression speed again...

Interesting, that was a significant improvement. Almost as good as
zip and certainly good enough to make 7za a good candidate.
Thanks.

I'm running a lengthy test right now, but my immediate impression is
that 7zip is only marginally slower than zip. Zip typically needs
slightly less than 0.02seconds for an extraction, where as 7zip
typically needs a little more than that. If 7zip does better
compression too (which it should), it's a winner.
However, 7zip for Linux looks a bit, well, unfinished. It doesn't
read filenames from stdin, it doesn't have a --quiet option,

I use '-bd -y' for "quiet" opperation in scripts.

I notice you put quiet in quotes - coz those two options don't exactly
make 7za very quiet ...

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.8°C)