Re: [opensuse] lsm space giveth and space taketh away: missing space?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 15:12:35 +1000
On 02/09/2010 11:50, Linda Walsh wrote:
I am running low on space in my /backups partition. I looked at the partitions and volumes to see what might be done (besides deleting old
backups), and noticed:

pvs:
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree /dev/sdb1 Backups lvm2 a- 10.91T 3.15G

---
So I thought 'cool', I didn't make it the full size, and
I have some left...ok...(I didn't remember what I'd done, its
been a while).

Run lvresize:
lvresize /dev/Backups/Backups -L +3.15G
Rounding up size to full physical extent 3.15 GB
Extending logical volume Backups to 10.91 TB
Logical volume Backups successfully resized

Um...HELLO? Extending to 10.91? But it was at 10.91!
pvs:
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree /dev/sdb1 Backups lvm2 a- 10.91T 0
Well that was unimpressive.

parted /dev/sdb
p(rint)
Disk /dev/sdb: 12.0TB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 17.4kB 12.0TB 12.0TB backup lvm

Ok, now I'm really confused. 10.91T? 14.06T? (Obviously
this was optimistic reporting if the partition is only 12TB!)

So why does parted show a 12TB disk while lvm shows only a 10.91T
disk and why did lvm show 3.15G free when it wasn't really there?

How do I get my 1.09T back from lvm? That seems like awfully
high for an overhead number for lvm. I'd expect more like "0.09T".

Ideas?

I suggest that you look at how the KBs are counted by the manufacturer and then the OS. If I recall correctly, HD mfgrers use something like ~1458 bytes (or something) = 1Kb.

In one of my Windows (ex-windows ie :-) ) applications the "normal" count was 1024 bytes = 1Kb but I altered the setting to give me a "true" count of 1000 bytes = 1Kb so that I always knew where I stood.

BC

--
Vulgar language is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate people.