Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:49:54 +0200
Wilfred van Velzen wrote:

On 2010-09-01 at 09:22, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm looking for a compression tool (lzma, gzip, zip et al) with
the following characteristics:

1. high compression ratio
2. multiple files per archive
3. very fast decompression/extraction of single files

One of the best from the compression rate point of view is 7z
(well, I know it depends on the type of files you are compressing).
It definitely satisfies 2. No idea about 3, but worth trying.

Thanks Mark - the last one I tried was indeed 7z (p7zip in the Linux
variation), but it fails miserably on 3. AFAICT, when extracting a
single file, it scans the complete archive.

Try compressing with '-ms=off' option for p7zip and test decompression
speed again...

Interesting, that was a significant improvement. Almost as good as zip
and certainly good enough to make 7za a good candidate. Thanks.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.9°C)