Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:22:27 +0200
Mark Goldstein wrote:

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

I'm looking for a compression tool (lzma, gzip, zip et al) with the
following characteristics:

1. high compression ratio
2. multiple files per archive
3. very fast decompression/extraction of single files

One of the best from the compression rate point of view is 7z (well, I
know it depends on the type of files you are compressing). It
definitely satisfies 2. No idea about 3, but worth trying.

Thanks Mark - the last one I tried was indeed 7z (p7zip in the Linux
variation), but it fails miserably on 3. AFAICT, when extracting a
single file, it scans the complete archive.

Wrt the files, they're all emails, so lots of of text, html and copious
amounts of base64 coded content. lzma does a brilliant job on cpio
archives, compressed down to 10% of the original, but the extraction is
much too slow.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.2°C)