Re: [opensuse] USB not working in VBox
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:35:28 -0600
On 07/08/2010 10:20 AM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 07/08/2010 09:03 AM, Mark Goldstein pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hi,

2010/7/8 Oszkó Albert<oszko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 07/08/2010 08:36 AM, Oszkó Albert pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 07/08/2010 04:55 AM, Oszkó Albert pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Dear All,

Recently I have installed Win 7 Enterprise Edition in Sun's VirtualBox,
but cannot get USB to work. In Settings/USB devices it correctly
states
that it is a Kingston Data Traveller, but this line is greyed out. Down
at the status bar after pulling the cursor over the USB stick icon a
popup says that there is no USB devices plugged.

Are there further settings needed or what did I miss?

Thanks,
OszkoA
Which version of VirtualBox do you have installed? The OSE version does
not support USB devices.

It is the Sun-Oracle kind Virtualbox.
Which *version*? There are two different versions on the download page.

It is the latest 3.2.6 version r63112

You may need to tweak fstab. Read this page:
http://en.opensuse.org/Virtualbox_USB_Support

On my 11.1 I have

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0

in fstab

Also look into http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=33944#p33944
(USB questions).

Regards
This hasn't been necessary for a number of releases. I have asked the OP
twice for which version he has installed. There is a binary version and
and OSE version on the download page. If he installed the OSE version
USB support is not available. Until he answers the question I cannot
help him further.

I can confirm this bug. I have used the non OSE version and the USB remains unavailable. The guest was Win XP 64.

Dean Hilkewich