Re: [opensuse] USB not working in VBox
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 00:53:58 +0930
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:25:12 Oszkó Albert wrote:
Dear All,

Recently I have installed Win 7 Enterprise Edition in Sun's VirtualBox,
but cannot get USB to work. In Settings/USB devices it correctly states
that it is a Kingston Data Traveller, but this line is greyed out. Down
at the status bar after pulling the cursor over the USB stick icon a
popup says that there is no USB devices plugged.

Are there further settings needed or what did I miss?

Thanks,
OszkoA

I just went through this myself and found the answer through google. You need
to add your user to the vboxusers group (remember to log out and back in again
for the change to take effect), then modify the usbfs line in /etc/fstab as
follows:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto,devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0

The devgid parameter needs to be the same group id as the vboxusers group.

This fixed it for me with a Win XP guest - it now works as expected. USB
devices are available to the guest os when checked in the Devices->USB menu
(after adding the appropriate devices filters) and to the host os when
unchecked.