Re: [opensuse] OT: SLES11 kernel downgrade
  • From: kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 08:00:20 -1000
On Tuesday 06 July 2010 07:44:37 am Marco Calistri wrote:
On Tue 06 Jul 2010 at 14:22:12 (-0300 UTC) Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [07-06-10 13:16]:
Hoping someone here can give me a hand. I upgraded a SLES11 server to
SP1 and also ran online updates, which updated the kernel to
2.6.32.13-0.4.1. Now the server is having problems with xen. I have two
other servers running SP1, but kernel 2.6.32.12-0.7.1, and they do not
have the same issues.

I posted on Novell's SLES forum several hours ago but have not heard
back. How do I downgrade the kernel? Going into software in yast only
shows me the latest. If I try to install the previous kernel manually it
won't let me because a newer one is already installed.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

dl the kernel packages you want installed, cd to that location
rpm -i --oldpackage <kernel-package1> <kernel-package2> <...>

Perhaps I'm wrong or what I state is usefulness, but maybe doing the
above from single-user mode, would ensure a safer downgrade.

then, depending on whether you retain old kernels, be sure to select the
proper kernel when you reboot.

--
Marco Calistri <amdturion>
Schumacher's Dictum: Small is beautiful.

I have been able to upgrade / downgrade numerous apps from yast, using
the "version" selection option, clicking on the desired one and changing the
action to "upgrade". I believe i have done this for a kernel downgrade as
well. Doesn't that work any more?