Re: [opensuse] Re: connecting openSUSE 11.3 and XP
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 07:20:57 -0400
On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 16:55 +0200, jdd-gmane wrote:
Le 05/07/2010 14:41, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :
Use the Samba docs, *not* 3rd party docs. The Samba docs are reasonably
current; most others are wrong.
well... but needs three days to read and understand for something that
show work from scratch!

I don't see why CIFS shares should work by default on a non-M$ operating
system. There is a serious disconnect between the POSIX and the CIFS
identity model; bridging the chasm requires design choices.

tB: smbd and nmbd runs, I have fusesmb but don't know how to use it
and smb4k don't find anythinh on the net
You installed Samba4? You want Samba 3.4.x probably.
I run factory, probably can't be more up to date

Except that Samba 4 is *not* stable. It certainly isn't more up-to-date
as far as usability bugfixes go.

Did you create a CIFS account (smbpasswd -a)? You must have a
corresponding Samba account, an NSS account is not sufficient.
first thing that was needed for ages.
the XP machine sees the linux one, but can't connect (same account
name and pass on the two sides
I have solved the problem
the firewall have to be openned for samba server but also for samba
client and for netbios server... with this I can copy from XP to
openSUSE and vice versa

Great.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA