Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (1815 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse] Mobile broadband
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:04:35 +0200
  • Message-id: <1278317075.5709.48.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 09:41 +0200, C wrote:
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 09:17, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I have been trying to get mobile broadband working on my laptop. I tried
openSUSE11.2, and now 11.3. I have a certain amount of success. But no
final joy. I suspect it is my lack of knowledge that is the problem
here.

I am trying to use a Swedish service called "Comviq Surf" that provides
a USB modem. It is a per-day/week/month service, similar to what you get
in hotels for wireless. The modem is (from lsusb):

idVendor 0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
idProduct 0x1001 E620 USB Modem
bcdDevice 0.00
iManufacturer 2 HUAWEI Technology
iProduct 1 HUAWEI Mobile

[snip]

This looks a lot like what I get with the Vodafone UMTS stick I use in
Germany. I fiddled with the same steps you did, with the same
results.

The first issue is the USB Mode switch... with 11.2, anything provided
via the repos (version 0.9.6) didn't really work.. it appeared to turn
off the USB drive part, but never properly initialized the modem. i
haven't tried again with 11.3 - but I think that comes with 1.1.2....
with Ubuntu 10.04, the USB mode switch (version 1.1.0-2) works fine.
So I'm guessing that's the first step... make sure you're using a high
enough version of the USB Modeswitch app.

I've not been able to convince Gnome or KDE4 NetworkManagers to
connect (in openSUSE 11.2 updated to Factory, openSUSE 11.3 RC2, and
Ubuntu 10.04).

Two critical bits of info you already have found... The APN and the
number to dial... I tried the same info, but for Vodafone Germany in
my NetworkManager... same identical results as you reported...

My solution was this: https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12
This is specific to Vodafone, but... maybe there is some why you can
adapt it to your provider? It appears to be the same class of device
(internally a Huawei... I'm not 100% sure on the device/product
number)....

Lots of files... I think the vodahone mobile connect driver is a driver
from vodafone that works with their service. The python twisted stuff
is, I think, for decoding html. So I am guessing it fiddles with the web
pages from vodafone.

I see that the python-notify spec refers to a udev rule for the device.
I can perhaps see if that is up to any magic.

Otherwise, I fear that the solution is in the driver, which is vodafone.

Thanks for the info. I will look at it more this evening. Perhaps there
is more that I have missed.


--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups
References