[opensuse] Network Manager and WPA/PSK with TKIP
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:45:20 +0930
Listmates,

Tonight I was just reminded why I've been avoiding Network Manager like the
plague. Is anyone successfully using Network Manager/KDE4 with a WLAN
connection using WPA2-PSK/TKIP?

My laptops (work and home) have been using ifup to manage the network
connections and connecting to my home wireless network absolutely fine for
ages.

Tonight I decided to give Network Manager another go on the work laptop
because I often have to plug into different networks at work for equipment
maintenance purposes and need an easy way of switching between different
networks/subnets on the wired ethernet port (which I may have to do several
times in a day). We don't use DHCP on any of our networks for security reasons
(our network administrator comes from a banking background and has very set
ideas on network security which no-one is going to change).

Trouble is, as soon as I enable Network Manager I can't connect to my home
network which uses WPA2-PSK/TKIP with a 64 character hexadecimal shared key.

Network Manager only gives me the following security options:

None, LEAP, Dynamic WEP, WEP, WPA/WPA2 Personal (expects a password), WPA/WPA2
Enterprise (expects signed certificates, private key/password etc.).

Why can it not use WPA-PSK2 like the ifup method (as configured in Yast2
Network Setup)? Is there something I'm missing here?

Running latest KDE 4.4.4, Network Manager 0.9.svn1043876-1.4.1-k586 and an
Intel on-board wireless card using the iw3945 driver.