Re: [opensuse] Problem with NVIDIA GeForce G310M ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:27:41 +0200

On 2010-07-01 05:57, suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, friends,

Introduction:
Bought a new laptop Asus PL30JT-RO030X - unfortunately
only with Win7PRO :-(.

My Compaq came with the home edition :-p

Wanted to install openSUSE 11.2 and failed at 1st because
of a too slow external DVD drive (via USB).
With a more modern drive I'd success (BIOS has recognized
the drive) and the installation went on without hickups.

Problem:
Trying to boot the installed system initially it goes as
usual (I see the kernel messages during boot flying over
the screen).

But then - when it comes to the graphical login - the
screen goes dark and NOTHING more is happening :-(

Analysis:
Succeeded in booting a live UBUNTU and could save some
logfiles to a stick. I see some error messages in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log which hardens my suspects it could
be a matter with the graphics.

Good idea, using another live :-)

Another one: at the initial boot message, from grub, type "3". This will give
you a text mode
system, that should boot. Then, login, and type "startx" to start a graphical
session under that
user. If it blocks, try typing "ctrl-alt-backspace" twice to kill the graphical
session, or
ctrl-alt-f1 to try return to text mode.

Alternatively, if you have another computer, log in via ssh before it crashes,
and try killing x.

And, in text mode you can try configuring the graphical mode. 11.2 still has
sax2, give it a try.

Unfortunately I'm (not yet) fit enough to interpret
those error messages good enough.

The Xorg.0.log and some more logfiles can be found at
http://www.blaettner.com/Computer/ - I didn't want to
make this mail unnecessarily fat.

Another good idea, thanks for the consideration :-)

Unfortunately, that server gives me an error: "403 Forbidden". You can try
instead one of the free
pastebins, like pastebin.ca: you can enter text there, logs, code, and it will
be viewable for the
amount of time you decide.

- Are there boot parameters to clean up this problem?

There is one that should give you the same graphical mode used during the
install, but I don't
remember it right now... ah, yes, "x11failsafe". Type that at the initial grub
prompt (it is one of
the options used for failsafe, but you don't need all of them, only this one).
It is also possible
to copy the configuration file used by this mode to make the change
"permanent". Let me see... that
will be "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.install", copy that file to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf",
and you should be able
to boot in graphical mode (or via startx). Limited, but graphical.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))