Re: [opensuse] new computer
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 03:10:47 +0200
Hello,

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010, William Biggs wrote:
I'm getting a new computer I'm going to use the same hard drive if I put
the hard drive in the new computer in it will I have to reload or just
put the hard drive in and turn it on ?

Edit in /etc/sysconfig/kernel the INITRD_MODULES variable (sorry,
can't remember the variable name atm, should be that or similar and
already have e.g. 'ext3' in it), so it includes at least the
neccessary modules for your new HDD-controller. Which will probably be
ahci anyway (and that's in the kernel with 11.2).

Once you have done that, update the initrd (run mkinitrd), you should
be able to just move the drive to the new box and boot from it, as if
nothing had happend. You may need to adjust other drivers (e.g. audio,
ethernet etc.), but that can be done after moving the drive.

So, if you tell us what SUSE you have and what MoBo the new box has
(or more specifically: what chipset and what ethernet chip or whatever
you'll use to connect to the 'net it has), then we can probably tell
you, what you'll need to have in that variable.

HTH,
-dnh, BTDT

--
Well I wish you'd just tell me rather than try to engage my enthusiasm.
-- Marvin