[opensuse] Update 11.2 -> 11.3 RC2
  • From: Guillermo Ballester Valor <gbv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:28:29 +0000
Hello,

This morning I dedided to update one of my systems from 11.2 to 11.3 RC2
(x86_64).

It has been the most easy update I've ever done for a SUSE O.S, (since 6.3)
:-)

The first time I have not needed to select manually wich packages to
mantain/supress/update. As expected, I had to delete some
Packman/VLC/multimedia packages, but no confict to resolve manually. Good !

Then, no problem at all when installing. Just a question about the time spent
in some packages. I observed it also in 11.2 Why a lot of gnome packages take
so long time to install?. KDE4 packages are far long faster than gnome to
install.

Once installed and rebooted, procedded to add some 11.3 repositories. Most of
them still are not in wiki and doc pages, but when replacing in '11.2' by
'11.3' in 11.2 URLs we get the repositories!.

The exception is NVIDIA repository for 11.3. There is still no repo, AFAIK.
This time, for NVIDIA and ATI, the things are a bit more complicated because
we will need to change the kernel modeset before to install a binary
propietary driver. I am wondering if openSUSE will invent an easy way to
swich form nouveau to nvidia.

It seems openSUSE team has done a good job!. Thanks.

--
Guillermo Ballester Valor
home:gbvalor opensuse builservice repo owner