Re: [opensuse] lpadmin -d acts different than expected
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:50:24 +0200
On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 08:12 -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 07/01/2010 05:02 AM, Roger Oberholtzer pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 10:26 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
Hello,

On Jul 1 08:39 Roger Oberholtzer wrote (shortened):
I want to change the default printer queue on an 11.2 system. So, as I
have always done, as root I ran lpadmin -d newQueue. For root, lpstat -a
tells the proper thing. The odd thing is that all other users still have
the old printer as the default. Implying that the default printer is
per-user. I can buy that. Is that the case?

Yes - see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS

That did it. Short answer: each user needs to run:

lpoptions -d newDefaultQueue

Perhaps an lpoptions section is needed in the KDE's Personal Settings.
Perhaps GNOME already configures this?

Or do it by using the web based print management system and change the
"system" default.

Nope. That is exactly what does not work. Every user (at least on my
system) has a $HOME/.cups/loptions file where his/her view of the
printers is. This overrides the system settings. Changing the
system-wide default has no effect here. I guess if the user deletes the
file they get a new one with the system defaults. But then all their
other settings are lost.

Read the link provided above.

--
Ken Schneider