Re: [opensuse] lpadmin -d acts different than expected
  • From: Paul Ollion <pollion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:18:53 +0200
On Thursday 01 July 2010 08:39:04 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Sorry if this is already discussed. I did not find anything in the
archives.

I want to change the default printer queue on an 11.2 system. So, as I
have always done, as root I ran lpadmin -d newQueue. For root, lpstat -a
tells the proper thing. The odd thing is that all other users still have
the old printer as the default. Implying that the default printer is
per-user. I can buy that. Is that the case?

So, root's lpstat, yast and the cups web server all claim that newQueue
is the default. But a non-root user gets the old one. Is there some
place where each user can set this up in kde? I searched for 'print' in
KDE's configuration, and got no matches.

Can someone kick me into the 21st century?

Hello Roger

I had the same problem after changing my old dead printer for a new old one.
The
only way I found was to delete the old queue; then the new one becomes the
default.

If you still want to use your old printer, I suppose that if you reinstall it,
the
new printer will remain the default and the old one will appear as second
choice in
KDE's print dialog boxes.

There may be a more clever solution but I do not knox it.
Hope it helps

--
Paul Ollion
Proud Linux user SuSE 11.2