Re: [opensuse] /sbin/yast2: line 421: 17466 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module after updates?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:11:27 +0200

On 2010-06-10 19:50, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 10 June 2010 18:44:01 David C. Rankin wrote:

Thanks Carlos. I can't believe in the thousands of updates I've done, I
never really understood this. I had always seen: "This is Linux!, as long
as you don't update the kernel, then there is no reason to reboot!" Man,
was that information way off the mark.

There is no need to reboot, but it's easier to tell somebody to reboot instead
of telling "run this
and that, restart such and such, if you see this do that..." - Hey! After all
the explaining I did
to you (David), you did not understand, so... yes, please, reboot >:-P

You don't have to reboot. You do have to restart any program you've updated,
or any program that uses a library you've updated.

Exactly. It can not be automated.

In unix since time immemorial, open files are not deleted until they are
closed.

In this case, it all seems to be kde related, so it should be enough to log
out and back in

Yep.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))