Re: [opensuse] Sound Question..
  • From: Vadym Krevs <vkrevs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:56:45 +0100
On 6 June 2010 18:00, Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 06 Jun 2010 17:25:23 Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:05:25 -0400, "Michael S. Dunsavage"

<mikesd1981@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://linux.dsplabs.com.au/lsof-grep-snd-how-to-free-a-linux-sound-device
-p25/, is a link to a web page that will tell you how to gain the resource
back, but not how to remedy the problem in general.

The solution is to setup dmix and in such a way that it's the default
sound output device.

Once again: when more then one sound sourece wants to output a signal
something needs to multiplex the signals so that they can be output in
(seemingly) parallel. Some sound chips can do it in hardware, others
need a software multiplexer. For ALSA, dmix is such a multiplexer.

Philipp

Can someone please explain where this inability of sound systems to handle
more than on e sound at a time has come from because  before all this
PulseAudio stuff and the rest of the messing about  i had sound working
perfectly  now it is so completely borked it is untrue  and IF a BIG IF you
are lucky enough to get it working again then dont dare even think of updating
anything as it is gaurented to screw it again that instant..

Never mind all the excuses  can we please have a working sound system back and
make things like PulseAudio choices with a DIRE warning this WILL screw your
sound system up

it is things like this that are chasing users away from Linux  can we stop the
messing and start releasing when PROVEN SAFE and working not may or may not
work

Pete .

 hoping Novell get out of opensuse and we get back to the old ways it ALWAYS
worked back then

The problem above has nothing to do with Pulseaudio - as Pulseaudio is
designed to prevent such issues. As Phillipp mentioned above, the lack
of dmix default sound device (if the system is configured NOT to use
Pulseaudio) is the most likely cause. If the system is configured to
use Pulseaudio, then VLC should also be configured to use Pulseaudio
as the default output sound device.

Vadym