Re: [opensuse] I did format the wrong partition, help needed ..
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:26:18 -0400
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

El 05/06/10 16:16, robert@xxxxxxxxx escribió:
hi there,
when reinstalling linux I did reformat the wron partition.
it was formated with ext3 and now ext4.
I am looking for tools to recover the lost data.

The short answer is no, it is very unlikely that you will recover your
information, with luck you will get pieces of your information and have
to start searching a needle in a haystack.

mainly emails and such

Use IMAP and you will never have such problem again.

File deletion is foreva.

Such a pessimist!

Here's some "data carving" tools.
(http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Tools:Data_Recovery#Carving) In
general, they work by searching for known file headers then "assuming"
contiguous data sectors / blocks from that point on.

ext4 attempts to keep 128MB contiguous extents of data together so
carving it should be very productive.

I'm not sure about ext3. But for small emails stored one email per
file, it seems most files will be 4K or less, so they should rarely if
ever be fragmented.

Greg