Re: [opensuse] I did format the wrong partition, help needed ..
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:44:17 -0400
Cristian Rodríguez said the following on 06/06/2010 11:16 AM:

Use IMAP and you will never have such problem again.

+ 0.98

There are variations on that.
My variation is to have a mailhub machine that uses fetchmail to pull in
the mail from all my various accounts. I suppose you cold say that
means there is a minimum tome they are 'exposed' on the various ISP's
machine.

It also means there is one-and-only-one repository (and archive) for my
mail instead of the couple of dozen actual accounts.

So on my laptop-that-is-a-workstation, be it at my desk or on the road,
I don't have to remember or store all the passwords. If my laptop is
stolen or appropriated by customs inspector I don't loose my email.
(And that is the best justification against the modern trend for laptops
with huge capacity disks I can think of).

Away from my desk a ssh tunnel though my office firewall gives me access
to everything on the mailhub. But the tunnel isn't automagic, so a
thief won't get at the mail just by starting up the laptop.

IMAP is good; IMAP is simple. Fetchmail is good.
Not putting critical stuff where it can be easily zapped or lost is even
better.

And the mailhub gets backed up automatically ...

None of this is "Rocket Science".
If you think you can't afford a machine to use as a mailhub, then visit
your Goodwill or Salvation Army Thrift Store and get a $25 special. Get
a firewall there while you're about it.

Of course if you have a corporate budget, you can call HP, IBM or Dell.
It may be that my Salvation Army firewall at home has lasted longer than
any of the HP/Dell equipment I've bought, but that's another matter.
You don't often find rack-mounted blade servers at the SallyAnne :-)

--
Almost all quality improvement comes via simplification of
design,manufacturing, layout, processes, and procedures.