Re: [opensuse] multiboot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:36:17 +0300
On Sunday 06 June 2010 15:44:30 C wrote:
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 14:27, Felix Miata wrote:
As a consequence, I believe the current subject misleading. What SUSE
doesn't configure is other distros that depend on Grub 2, which is a
much more complicated boot loader that most people don't need.

Does openSUSE 11.2 use Grub2? Does openSUSE 11.1 use Grub2? As far
as I know, the answer is no to both questions (although I could be
wrong?)... yet when I install 11.2 on a computer with 11.1, I do not
get 11.1 in the 11.2 boot menu.. or, if I do, it is a handoff to the
11.1 Grub where I have to select to boot 11.1.. instead of just
booting 11.2 like I expect.

There are scenarios where manually managing Grub is desirable, but
it's not my preferred choice, especially considering how easily an
inexperienced user can render their computer unbootable with a
mis-click or a mis-configuration.

C.

Perhaps that's what happened to my desktop machine, on which a week or so
ago, I installed v11.2 on a new HD (sda). while the existing HD (sdb)
contains v11.1. I'vw been trying since to locate the source of the problem
and how to clear it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on