Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:05:57 +0100

James Knott wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
The company I get my subnet from also sells a "CPE" that plugs into your
network and provides the tunnel. However, those who wait are more
likely to make expensive mistakes than those who have a proper plan that
gives them time to experiment.

?! Early adopters are usually the ones who end up in difficulty. Those
who learn by someone else mistakes and do their own R&D usually are
better positioned to not be cut by the bleeding edge when they do decide
to adopt.

The adoption of a technology is more usually defined by commercial and
other benefits rather than the technical merits of a particular
technology. In a time where cash is short, corporate priorities are more
likely to be on minimising costs by downsizing staff etc, rather than
the funding the adoption new technologies with no immediately apparent
cash-flow benefits. Which is probably short sighted at best, but most
most public companies are there to make cash for their shareholders who
are tending to be less tame about board level decisions in recent times.

I would expect tools (and standards) to manage IPv6 external
connectivity to be developed rather than wholesale infrastructure
changes to be implemented; as the former could be relatively cheap to
adopt, and the second significantly expensive.

Some will find out the hard way, when
they can no longer offer service to new customers.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup