Re: [opensuse] I did format the wrong partition, help needed ..
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 08:09:56 -0500
Richard Atcheson wrote:
On Saturday 05 June 2010 19:48:10 Carlos E. R. wrote:
However, as to recover lost data... Dunno. Grepping on the entire device?

I've used Spinrite from grc.com. Make sure you dont put data on that partition before you try the recovery. If you have, there's nothing you can do about the stuff you've overwritten.

Richard
Do not use Spinrite for this issue. Spinrite does not do this type of recovery. Felix is right, a format deletes the metadata telling the system where to look for each file, but the files are possibly still there. Stop using the disk. There are services that can help with recovering deleted files, and I've seen ads for software that claim do this, but have not used any so I can't recommend anything specific. Spinrite is good for recovering files or sectors that are going bad, but that is on a filesystem you have not deleted. It will not work on a file system where you have deleted a file or reformattted.

Jim