Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 07:49:20 -0400
G T Smith wrote:
For legacy hardware there is third party firmware that provides IPv6
support. BTW The kit is produced by a few manufactures (and possibly
re-badged) to a cheap and cheerful spec, and not normally by the ISP
itself.

I think the major issues with IPv4 based ISPs will be be the cost of any
changes made, persuading their consumer base to migrate and explaining
the reasons for the change. In a places with a very competitive industry
no-one is going to be willing to put themselves at a potential
competitive disadvantage (waiting for the first to make the change so
that they can capitalise on any mistakes made will be order of the day).

Try and explain how to perform the above to the average home user:-)

The company I get my subnet from also sells a "CPE" that plugs into your network and provides the tunnel. However, those who wait are more likely to make expensive mistakes than those who have a proper plan that gives them time to experiment. Some will find out the hard way, when they can no longer offer service to new customers.