Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:34:52 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

Does it matter a lot for the coffeeshops - don't they just use an
RFC1918 network NAT'ed to a single IP from their provider?

We've already reached the point where many web sites are available
only via IPv6. This is mainly in Asia, where they do not have
enough
IPv4 addresses to go around. That day is fast approaching for North
America.

Well, I didn't realize it was getting so close - I have not yet
seen/met any IPv6 only sites or servers.

ipv6.google.com

Okay, sure there are such servers out there, but not being able to reach
ipv6.google.com will not cause a problem for very many people. After
all, there is still google.com :-)

However, as I mentioned, there are plenty in Asia, where they don't
have enough IPv4

Also, NAT is at best a bad hack to extend IPv4.

Well, maybe that is matter of opinion, but I would say that NAT is a
very useful mechanism for connecting RFC1918 networks with the
outside world.

I didn't say it wasn't useful. [big snip]

James, I only objected to your calling it 'at best a bad hack' when in
fact NAT'ing has been and still is incredibly useful to hundred of
thousands of people.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (25.2°C)