[opensuse] Sound system frustrations in 11.2 and KDE4
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:36:03 +0200
I'm having some real frustrations with getting sound working right on
a computer I support.

This is a Acer laptop running: 11.2, KDE4.4.3 Factory, a Logitech
Wireless USB headset. The owner wants all sound to be routed through
the headset only - this is all sounds, system sounds, audio from
Firefox, Skype, Ekiga etc.

What I did to achieve this - I installed 11.2, then useing YaST,
deleted the autodetected onboard sound card and "configured" the USB
headset to be the only/primary sound device. Initially, this seems to
work. Audio from Firefox for example is routed through the headset as
this use wants. Skype is also playing nice with this config, and uses
the USB headset.

It's falling down though when Ekiga is brought into the mix. It's
complaining that the output audio device is busy and the user cannot
hear any sound. Nothing we do seems to sort this out. Ekiga cannot
open the audio output device.. which is according to Ekiga the USB
Headset. We've tried making sure all apps that use audio are closed
down.. so Amarok, Firefox, Skype etc. Then doing a clean start of
Ekiga.. still the same error... we've rebooted... nothing seems to let
Ekiga open the audio output device.

Anyone here run across this? Any suggestions?

C.