Re: [opensuse] sftp-server problem on OpenSUSE 11?
  • From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:56:55 -0400
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/18/2010 12:35 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM, John Andersen<jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 5/18/2010 8:21 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:

Hi all,

I have a few systems here that are OpenSUSE 11.1 and 11.2 machines.
For some reason, while SSH into them works just fine SFTP does not
work at all. Looks like the SFTP subsystem in the SSH server
(/usr/lib64/ssh/sftp-server) never gets activated properly. Has
anybody run into this? How do I fix it?

Thanks.

Boris.

Take a look in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config

You should have a line like this:
# override default of no subsystems
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/lib64/ssh/sftp-server

The actual target on the second line is for a 64bit system.
Your target may differ.  But if this line is missing or
commented out you won't have sftp support.

Verify that sftp-server exists on your system.

--
_____________________________________
At one time I had a Real Sig.  Its been downsized.

Thanks John, very good point - but my system is 64 bit, I have
verified this, the sftp-server executable is there and looks OK.

Boris.

I think All we can ask is, In what way(s) are you modifying the system from
a stock install?

I reject the implication that there is something odd about the way opensuse
installs ssh or sftp.
Not only do I myself use sftp between several different OS's and softwares,
includng several different versions and platforms of opensuse, windows with
filezilla, psftp, & cygwin, other linux like ubuntu, freebsd solaris, and
sco open server without a problem, I don't remember even hearing of anyone
else having a problem that was in any way mysterious. (ssh not installed,
ssh not opened in the firewall, self-inflicted config edits)

Except one time when I had to go out of my way to break it myself.
I copied a single standard sshd_config file from one box to many other
boxes. Since some boxes were 32 bit and some were 64, and the path to
sftp-server is hard coded in the config with a full explicit path which is
different for 32bit vs 64bit, and the source box weas 32, sftp stopped
working on all the 64bit boxes. As you can see, I had to deliberately break
that by overwriting sshd_config in an unusual way.

So. In what way(s) are you modifying the system after install that might
have anything to do with ssh or users login accounts?

Or, rather than guessing, what does syslog say? What does syslog say after
uncommenting and setting LogLevel to the various options mentioned in "man
sshd_config" and restarting sshd?

--
bkw

Brian,

Yes, we do modify the system from the original install - we put NFS
links on it to link it to the file server, NIS for authentication,
etc. No we do not modify the SSH config, not in any way I can think
of.

I will try to play with the syslog, thanks. Maybe that will yield something.

Boris.

Hello everybody,

here's the latest news as concerns this problem:

1) I tried increasing the log level for sftp-server but nothing gets
logged. I don't think the SFTP subsystem ever gets invoked.

2) The problem appears to affect not just the OpenSUSE 11 machines but
also Ubuntu 10 ones. Only on our network here. What these machines
have in common is that they run SSH servers based on OpenSSH 5.x.
OpenSUSE 10 as well as CentOS 5.3 and 5.4 machines which run OpenSSH
4.x seem to have no problem when you try to long into them using SFTP.

3) To emphasize that SFTP problem only occurs on my office network.
Outside of it, these is not SFTP problem whether your machine has an
OpenSSH 4.x variant or an OpenSSH 5.x variant.

Hence the question most likely is: what could it be with this
network/setup we've got here at the office that causes this problem?

Any thoughts?

Boris.