Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 07:11:25 -0400
Graham Anderson said the following on 06/04/2010 06:52 AM:

Swapping isn't only the reason to hit the disk.
Starting new applications requires searching the directory trees and
inodes, paging in blocks that weren't already in memory. Ditto opening
files. Having more memory means these too can be 'cached' - or at least
not paged out ONCE THEY ARE READ IN.

And the first time you read the files when launching your app, pray tell
exactly how having more RAM will help me here?

Yes, context is everything ;)

I don't understand this obsession with booting.

If my file system is already in RAM ....

Years go, there were people (developers of course) who wrote to the
magazines like Dr Dobbs going on about how slow compilers were. Or at
last that they weren't fast enough. No attention was paid to the real
issue which was how fast the resulting applications ran when they were
in the hands to the end users.

So, when I'm on the road I do actually turn my machine (laptop) off.
In the morning I wake and stumble from my hotel bed and as I go past my
desk I turn the laptop on. When I get back from the bathroom its
booted. If it booted in 8 seconds or 8 minutes I'm not going to see the
difference.

If I'm at home my firewall and my mailhub/server are 'always on'.

I have a friend who works for a company that sells SSD to major
corporations. I've seen their sales presentation. It does not
mention booting; it does not mention application start-up time.
They pitch to database users.

That is the context that big SSD is selling into.

--
"The Air Force is reacting to the EPA ban on CFC's by replacing them in
the cooling systems of the ICBMs. If they are ever fired, it will be an