Re: [opensuse] unable to login to KDE under newly installed 11.2
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 07:02:59 -0400
Julien Michielsen said the following on 06/04/2010 06:44 AM:

Indeed, on the 11.2-machine /home/juk4 is the home-directory of user
juk4.

I asked a very specific question and you didn't answer.
I wanted to verify that it was the home directory
ACCORDING TO THE /etc/passwd FILE

He is the only user on the machine (together with root of course)
Root, however, has no problem logging in, and as user root I can do
everything on the machine, But I don't trust myself as root, and want to
log in as normal user.
When logging in under non-X console
#id juk4
uid=1000(juk4) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),33(video)
on this kde3.5 machine:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What does this mean?
Are they not both on the same machine, the same /etc/passwd file?

uid=1000(julien) gid=100(users) groups=16(dialout),33(video),100(users)

hope this will be of help to you.

Not.

You say

FIRST
/home/juk4 is the home directory

but on a previous post you said

ls /mnt/b5/juk4/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc -l
-rw------- 1 julien users 226 May 31 10:28

so that's not under /home/juk4

SECOND

He is the only user on the machine

but you give the ID result for two users.

If these are on different machines then the information you give is of
no use. We are trying to establish why you can't log in on one machine.

I'm trying to build a coherent image of your configuration and that's
not what I'm getting.

--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of
meeting schedules is forgotten.