Re: [opensuse] Finding largest MTU an interface supports on openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:34:40 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I am trying to set up jumbo frames on an openSUSE 11.2 system. I guess
I do that by setting the MTU. When I set this value in YAST, I am
uncertain if the value I set is really supported by the underlying
device. For example, I have a "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)", using the r8169 driver. I set the
MTU to 7200, and it seems to accept this.

Is there a command to find the max MTU for any given device? I don't
see that in ethtool. But it likes to use jargon, so maybe it is there
and I do not recognize it.

AFAIK, the only way is to read the datasheet. Or trial&error.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.7°C)