Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 06:13:58 +0200
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 02:43:01 Graham Anderson wrote:
You really need to use an SSD and then try to go back to using mechanical
disks. The difference is _very_ noticeable. From grub boot menu OS selection
to fully loaded KDE4 desktop (with all the previous apps that were running
in the last session) in under 10 seconds.

Having read what I typed I couldn't help but think it was unrealistic and
rather misleading about the time of under 10 seconds. I had measured this
(very roughly) when I freshly installed M6 but that's not really a fair real
world scenario, and it was an extremely minimal installation.

I wondered if this still holds true now that I have been using the SSD for few
weeks and my workstation installation is no longer freshly installed. Curious
for answers I decided to perform some completely unscientific tests on my
current workstation and setup.

Hardware
-----

Gigabyte P55 UD4
CPU/RAM: Intel i7 860 @ 3.5GHz, 8GB RAM @ 1600 (8-8-8-8-24)
SSD: 2 x OCZ Vertex LE 100GB (non raid)
HDD: 4 x Samsung F3 500GB, 7200 RPM (LVM + software raid)
HDD: 1 x Samsung Spinpoint 250GB, 7200 RPM

Partitioning/OS
------------

SSD1: /dev/sda1 /boot (200MB)
/dev/sda2 swap (2GB)
/dev/sda3 / (20GB, openSUSE 11.3 M7)
/dev/sda4 extended
/dev/sda5 / (20GB, openSUSE 11.2)

SSD2: /dev/sdb1 /home (60GB)
/dev/sdb2 /workspace (20GB, source, git repos, eclipse, OBS projects)

HDD: /dev/sdc1 /boot (200MB)
/dev/sdc2 /swap (4GB)
/dev/sdc3 / (20GB, openSUSE 11.2, old setup)
/dev/sdc4 NTFS (60GB Windows)

LVM: /dev/vgData /data
/dev/vgHome /home ( old home location for HDD sdc 11.2)
/dev/vgBackup /snapshots (rsnapshot sets)

Methodology
-----------

Create new user and set automatic login for user to a KDE 4.4.3 desktop with
konsole, dolphin and chromium applications running in the session, server
daemons running at startup are httpd & mysqld.

Booting 11.3, 11.2 from SSD with no mechanical HDD based partitions mounted at
boot.

Booting 11.2 from SSD with /home & /data mounted from mechanical disk based
LVM.

Booting 11.2 from mechanical HDD with /home & /data mounted from mechanical
disk based LVM

Boot each OS install 3 times, record the time from grub boot menu selection to
fully loaded desktop.

Launch eclipse, with -clean option to a busy workspace, record the time taken
to launch application + plugins, then rebuild the workspace. Launch eclipse 3
times and average the result. Use an Identical Workspace with 7 projects open,
70k source/project files, first is stored on SSD, second is stored on HDD

Results (timed with extremely accurate fingers and mobile phone stopwatch!)

OS | Boot Time |
---------------------------------+--------------+
openSUSE 11.3 (SSD) | 15.8 seconds |
openSUSE 11.2 (SSD) | 17.3 seconds |
openSUSE 11.2 (SSD + HDD mounts) | 35.2 seconds |
openSUSE 11.2 (HDD) | 58.5 seconds |

Now these results really need to be taken at face value for what they are, and
that is to say they are rather meaningless because I could not spend the time
to ensure that the HDD based 11.2 system is loading the same kernel
modules/daemons as the SSD based systems. Having said that, seeing as I am
currently using the 11.3 M7 as my day to day OS. I can only think of the
VirtualBox kernel module that would be loading on the HDD system and not the
SSD systems.

It should also be noted that the SSD based systems use tmpfs for /tmp

Eclipse | Launch + Rebuild Workspace
--------+---------------------------------
SSD | 24 seconds
HDD | 3 minutes, 13 seconds

This result on the other hand can taken rather more seriously. I can control
the environment and make sure the workspace is identical, the eclipse version
and plugins are identical, using the same version of JVM.

If I have some spare time, and can be bothered, I may follow this up with a
kernel compile.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions and flame away for being completely
pointless and unscientific benchmarks ;)

Cheers the noo,
Graham

--
“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
- Christopher Hitchens