Re: [opensuse] Question about (s)tar
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 07:10:11 -0400
On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 09:09 +0200, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Since a few weeks I'm running a script to backup my home-server. It's
just a few tar-files I'm making on a removable hard-disk. Every week I
run the same script with commands like
star -cf tar-file.tar.gz directory
I don't do any errorchecking though, like checking if all tar-commands
end without errors. That's a next project.
Last weekend I tried to recover that data to another external hard-disk,
to see if the backup was restorable. It seemed to work fine except that
I got a message, something like "ignoring trailing garbage".
Am I to worry that my backup has problems ?

If it looks like all your files where there I wouldn't worry about it.

Now I remember I actually used tar to restore. Maybe there is a difference ?

star is better than tar, if I recall correctly it drops a BLOB of
extra-meta data at the end of the archive. So again, if everything
looks OK, I wouldn't worry about it. Just use star for both backup and
restore next time.

And use the start H=exustar -acl -xattr options when backing up. That
way you get all the information for modern filesystems.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>