Re: [opensuse] Novell Client for Linux 2.0 sp2 sle11 i586 on openSUSE 11.2
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:01:24 +0200
On 5/24/2010 at 14:07, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 01:55:03PM +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 11:37 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I have installed the RPMs in novell-client-2.0-sp2-sle11-i586.iso
(downloaded from Novell), as well as CASA and libbfd on an openSUSYE
11.2 system. When I log in to KDE, I get a NCL icon in the system tray.
When I try to do something with it, I get this in a popup window:

Description : Cannot scan Connection References. Error:NWCCScanConnRefs:
Code : FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFB
Build : 1.0.0
File : ncpConnectionRefScanner.cpp
Line : 79
Repository Version : $Revision: 2371 $

Then I can proceed to the NCL menu. However, login does not work. I fill
in all the usual details and I get this message:

"The system could not log you into the network. Make sure your name and
connection information are correct, then type your password again."

I use this exact same information in the same machine from Windows XP
running on VMWare, and that works fine. So I know that the values are
correct and that the machines are available. But obviously something has
gone kaplooie.

Anyone else using NCL on openSUSE 11.2?

Bit more info: after rebooting the openSUSE 11.2 machine, I get this
message when logging in:

"The novfs kernel loadable module is not correctly installed."

Does:
"modprobe novfs"
work?

Roger:
I do run NCL on openSUSE 11.3/Factory. Works pretty well. But as I installed it
so long ago, I don't really remember all the steps I went through (I
remember having build a dummy rpm with an old libbfd to satisfy rpm deps and
NCL)

for the novfs module: use the one provided by the kernel and not the one that
comes with NCL (I vaguely remember there was something around init
scripts trying to build it at all the times... get rid of that).

If you want, I can try to find the time to make some more testings / proper doc
/ blog post on how to install NCL on a 11.2 / 11.3 installation.

Sigh. I guess there is still no support for openSUSE as a NCL user.

Without bugreports probably not.

Marcus: I pretty much gave up on this one. Having spent hours directly with
internals fro Novell responsible for NCL (was Joe Harmon at the times) I
had to recognize that there seems to be very few interest in offering NCL on
openSUSE (even though the most apparent thing missing is a proper repo
building NCL against openSUSE distributions... but for licensing reasons, this
seems not to be welcome on OBS... I can tell you the full story if
you're interested.. but 'offline').

Best regards,
Dominique