Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:17:34 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

The disk cannot read/write 512K blocks. It must read/write 4K blocks.
Because of the way this works, if the disk has it's 4K blocks aligned
differently than the disk formatting, reading/writing can require more
accesses than necessary. I have been looking for an interesting
article I read recently about this. The effect was not huge, so it is
not a show stopper. But decreasing unnecessary disk access is usually
not a bad thing.

It seemed that the 'solution' was that the Linux disk formatting
program just had to be sure the logical 4k blocks align with the
physical disk blocks. The jury is out on which Linux distros do this.
It is something that must be done when the disk is formatted.

I do not know where openSUSE is on this. Is this something in 11.3?

Do a search on openfate - I'm certain I've seen one or two requests on
this topic. Maybe wrt partitioning.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.6°C)