Re: [opensuse] What I had to do to get wireless communication
  • From: j debert <jdebert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:24:49 -0800

Stan Goodman さんは書きました:
I have a new router (D-Link DIR-615) and a new wireless card (Intel
5300agn) in my notebook machine, and was unable to establish
communication between them. After several days of puzzlement, I began to
entertain the notion that one or both were defective.

There are vendors that do not install firmware on the device before it
goes out the door. They expect the user to run the installer app on
windoze or mac that will write the firmware image to the device's
flash memory if it's not there. If a device doesn't work with Linux
out of the box, try installing it on a windoze or mac box and then try
it on the Linux box.

There may be firmware loaded but it's more likely to be some kind of
production test junk requiring a completely different kind of driver.

It would be interesting to whip up an installer in Linux that could
also read whatever firmware is on the device.

==
jd
If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make
something out of you.
-- Muhammad Ali