Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to bisable autodetect feature?
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:55:14 -0500
On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Wong <wongsuse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it possible to disable autodetect feature of OpenSuSE?
Sometime I need to replace NIC of machine at remote site. OpenSuSE always
detect any "changed" device as new and required to configure, even it is
same card that I move to other PCI slot.

The problem is that everything is assigned a PCI slot #. If you move
the card, then it now has a new PCI number and can be "seen" as a
different device. While there may be a way to do it for moving the
same card, I don't know if it can be done for a different card because
the new card would also have a new MAC address. That means it needs
to be reconfigured.